SWISS ROLL is also known as jelly roll or cream roll. This cake is originated from Central Europe.
The origin of the pastry is likely from the UK. The cake is never pre-packed as it is serve freshly.
Eggs 3 nos.
Flour 90 gms
Grain sugar 90 gms
Baking powder 1/4 tsp
Vanilla essence a few drops
Jam 60 gms (for spread)
1. Break eggs into a clean bowl with sugar, add essence and place bowl on a pan of hot water, being careful not to let the water touch the bowl.
2. Beat until stiff and creamy.
3. Add the flour with baking powder in the mixture and fold carefully by adding hot water.
4. Pour the mixture onto a greased and lined flat cake tray and bake at 200 C for 10-12 minutes.
5. When the cake is hot, demould it on the paper dusted with little sugar.
6. Slowly remove the lining paper from the top of the cake and spread jam and firmly roll the cake with the help of the paper.
|Demould upside down|
|Remove the greaseproof paper|
|Spread the jam|
|Roll the cake warm|
7. Cool the cake for 5 minutes in the paper and release it to form the cylindrical shape of the cake.
For chocolate icing : Cream cocoa powder (20 gm) + Icing sugar (30 gm) + Margarine/Butter (50 gm)
For plain icing : Cream icing sugar (50 gm) + Icing sugar (50 gm)
Note : Use pink and green colour in plain icing for leaves and flowers.
Can store the decorative cake at room temperature.
STEPS ON ICING CAKE :
Photograph courtesy : Smita Borse