Fruit cake is also been named as plum cake which contains lots of dry fruits, plums soaked with various spices and rum for months. This pre-preparation can be done well in advance before making it. Soaked fruits for long months or even years are much better in taste and aroma.
So, here I start with the recipe to enjoy and celebrate the end of the year.
Yield - 1/2 kg
Icing sugar 115gm
Eggs 2 no (large)
Caramel 30gm (2 tbsp)
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Cocoa powder 20gm
For soak fruits:
Candied peel 40gm
Lime 1/2 no.
Lemon essence 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder 1 tbsp
Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
Clove powder 1/2 powder
Dark rum to soak
Port wine 50ml
1. Chop the dry fruits (plums and prunes are optional) and soak in rum, wine lemon juice and essence and with spices and store the mixture for 15 days prior of preparation of cake.
2. On the day of sponge preparation, start creaming fat and icing sugar till its fluffy.
3. Aerate the eggs along with vanilla essence and add in the cream mixture slowly.
4. Add hot caramel in the mixture.
5. Dridge the soak fruits with dry ingredients and atlast mix with cut and fold method.
6. Grease and dust the cake or loaf tin.
7. Pour the batter in the tin and bake at 150 C for 45 minutes.
8. Cut into even portion and serve warm with vanilla ice cream as dessert.
9. Can be serve as high tea cake.
The color of the cake should be dark brown.
Can serve with red wine.
Before baking tap the top surface of sponge mixture with water. It prevents the cake to form hard crust.
Enjoy this month while making the fruit cake .......